328 E Edgewood Dr Lakeland, FL 33803
The Cleveland Court School at the corner of Edgewood Drive and Carolina Avenue was one of several built in Lakeland during the real estate boom of the 1920’s. By the time it was completed in 1929, however, the real estate boom had long since collapsed and there were not enough children living in the Cleveland Court subdivision to warrant opening the school. A husband and wife lived in the school and served as caretakers for a few years. The WPA used the school in the 1930’s to train workers. The school was converted to a vocational school at the beginning of World War II and the students assembled P. T. boats in the auditorium. It finally opened as an elementary school in 1947 and continues to serve Lakeland in that capacity today.